Renovated Bureau of Forensic Medicine opens in Kohtla-Järve
28. July 2005The East Estonian Department of the Bureau of Forensic Medicine of Estonia whose territorial jurisdiction covers Lääne-Viru and Ida-Viru Counties will occupy the building, which opens at 1.00pm today. The Department hosts 13 positions and on average carries out 500 autopsies a year. Since the Bureau is a base institution for medical residents of the University of Tartu, practical and theoretical training concerning forensic medicine can be conducted there.
The renovated building located at Ravi Street 10c has been specifically designed for forensic medical examinations. It is the first of its kind in the Baltic states. Renovation work began in February this year. The total cost amounted to nearly EEK 20 million, of which EEK 8 million was spent on acquisition of autopsy equipment and special equipment. The Bureau uses 834 square meters of the 1298 square metre property.
"The working conditions are good and allow for improvement in work organisation, increasing the quality of examination and speeding up the process," said Margus Reintam, Director of the Bureau of Forensic Medicine of Estonia. He added that, owing to the improved conditions, the possibilities of filling vacancies in the examination team have increased considerably.
Until now the autopsy room of the East Department of the Bureau has been located in a 29 square metre premises in the old pathology building of the Kohtla-Järve Hospital which lack the required working conditions – including decent ventilation and the required separation of working zones prescribed in safety requirements, as well as washing and dressing facilities.
Employees will commence work in the renovated building on 1 August 2005.